The tips I am going to share with you for advice on working from home with kids may not be suitable for every household. Make sure you adjust your Schedule & routine to fit your lifestyle!
Make a schedule that works for you & your kids
Making & Writing a schedule has been by far the best thing to help me stay on track. Remember when making a schedule kids will be kids so you need to be flexible. There will be diaper changes, spills, mess, & grumpy kids while your busy working no matter how hard you try to avoid it, it’s going to happen. Trust me I totally get it I have 2 kids of my own that are screaming or should I say “singing” baby shark so loud I can’t even hear my zoom meeting. For my kids & I what works the most is having a morning routine. I read a book called the Miracle Morning it is life changing not just for yourself but your business too. Are you struggling to get things done at home & with your business daily? Then I highly recommend reading it.
Do you like a Night time or Morning Routine better?
Now lets be real not every day is going to be perfect. Some days your routine will be out the door before you can even get out of bed. Maybe your kids kept you up to late the night before ( happens to me ALOT) and you slept past your alarm and that’s alright just keep going but if you are not a morning person this routine might not be something you want to do. If your a night owl maybe do a nighttime routine to get sometime in for work. I can tell you that I am absolutely not a morning person but I have learned to slowly adjust to it because it fits best with my family.
My Morning Routine – Time Blocking
I am going to give you a run down of what I do to keep on track.
- 5 – 5:15 A. M – This is the time I give myself to wake up, get water, light a candle, and have some peace and quiet to myself. I call this ME time and as mom we all need this even if it’s only 15 minutes! I always drink a full glass of water right when I get up to wake me and feel refreshed. Lighting a candle in the morning makes me feel calm, relaxed & less stressed.
- 5:15 – 7 A. M – Now it’s go time. Time to get focused & start working on your business. During this time I do personal development such as learning on YouTube from other network marketers, I listen to podcasts, I do my daily money making actives, I check my back office to see if there are things that need done. I will reach out to people & help my team with anything they may need for the day. I will write new content for my blog or strategies new ideas. This is the time you want to try your best to have little to no distractions and doing business work only! No need to be cleaning the house because guess what we have a time block for that as well. (of course if you feel like you need to throw in a quick load of laundry go ahead because if your anything like my house laundry NEVER ends HAHA.) I know how crazy your house can get with kiddos and we all need time to clean so our stress and anxiety level stay at a minimum.
- 7 – 7:45 A. M – During this block the first thing I do is get my Kiddos out of bed ( which for my daughter is a nightmare) she loves sleep just as much as I love nap time which is ALOT. Ok, Ok I love sleep in general so quiet. Once I get them up which sometimes takes a few tries they will pick out what they want for breakfast. Once breakfast is over we will brush teeth, I will do my daughters hair ( she’s 5) total diva, comb my sons hair ( he is 2) could totally care less what he looks like & then we will get dressed.
- 7:45 – 8:10 A. M – Load up the 2 kiddos and off to school my daughter goes. She is in Kindergarten & Finally gets to go full time. Which allows me some extra one-on-one with my son & some extra work time as well.
- 8:15 – 9:15 A. M- Once we get back from taking her to school it is work out time. I never use to workout I felt I was always to busy or to tired to have the time. That’s another reason I love working from home more time to work on myself and my health. Working out makes me feel so much better about my day, even just a nice fresh walk outside brightens the day. After working out I will get cleaned up and ready my day.
- 9:15 – 10:00 A. M – After we are done getting ready we clean the house. A clean house is a happy house, less stress, anxiety, & less craziness. I usually make the kids pick up several time throughout the day as well. Depending on the age of your kids you could also have them do chores to help you get more done. I do have a cleaning list I go by daily to make sure things are getting done.
- 10:00 – 11:30 A. M – We go outside and enjoy the fresh air. This time is for my son and sometimes my daughter depending on school. He gets to run some energy off whether it is jumping on the trampoline, playing on the play ground or going on a walk. I also use this time to play cornhole which is a HUGE hobby of mine. I try to practice every day for at least an hour. My advice would be staying off your phone and dedicating this time to other things. You don’t want to over do it and get burnt out and as Momma’s we all need hobbies or other things we should do.
- 11:30 – 12:30 A. M- Lunch time!! This time can vary when we eat from day to day depending on what we pick to cook. I use any extra time I have to clean and do a few extra things that may need done.
- 12:45 – 2:00 P.M – NAP TIME NAP TIME! I don’t know about you but this is my favorite time. My son goes down for a nap after a busy productive morning quiet time is a must. While he is sleeping I will work on my blog or business and make sure I am getting all the things I need done for the day to run my online business successfully from home.
Success With Kids
In order to have a successful business from home while taking care of your kids you have to learn to make a balance. You can’t spend all day working on your computer and no time for anything else. You will be overwhelmed, your kids will become upset and impatient. Your house will become complete chaos as I learned this the hard way. From my personal experience a daily schedule is a must and will help you tremendously so you have time to do ALL the things you are wanting to do in a day. I was never able to do all of these things without a schedule. I found myself just sitting around wasting valuable time that could be making me money or enjoying more time with my kids.
Work From Home With Kids- Make it less Hectic
Now I encourage you to sit down, make that schedule & take control! You will feel happier, and so will your kids. Now you have time to play with them without being glued to your phone. It will take some time to get the routine down but you totally got this! Welcome to the road to success!